Drug & Alcohol Recovery and Education Centre

"Turning Lives Around"

Q: What follow up support is available for me when I leave rehab?

A:We have an aftercare program in the community where you can access additional support such as therapeutic groups as well as the Carinya Halfway House supported accommodation program. We can also help you organise long term rehabilitation and will consider extending your stay, a little, at Watershed until a bed is available.

Q: Can I make appointments for when I leave program?

A:Yes. Clients are encouraged to put arrangements in place for support arrangements and appointments to take place upon leaving the program.

Q: How do I get into the program?

A: There are two pathways into Carinya Halfway House. The first is direct referral from Watershed and the second is self referral whilst in another residental service. Clients must complete the residential program they are in and then complete a commitment phase at Watershed prior to entering the Carinya program. Clients must firstly personally call the Watershed to undertake a phone assessment. If clients meet the criteria for admission into the program they are placed on a waiting list whilst any necessary reports (eg. medication proformas, psychological reports) are sought.

After all necessary reports are obtained clients are offered the next available bed in the Watershed Residential Rehabilitation program. Face to face assessments are sometimes necessary and clients would be informed if this needed to occur prior to admission. Clients spend a week in the Watershed Residential Rehabilitation program prior to moving to the Carinya Halfway House.

Q: How long does it take to get into the program?

A:Waiting list times vary due to the availability of beds and the reciept of medical/psychological and other assessment reports. Waiting times vary for each cient, however, Watershed staff make every effort to minimise client waiting times.

Q: What are the costs involved?

A:$182 rent per week. Note: This does not cover costs such as medication, phone calls, and other personal needs. Clients are allocated a weekly personal allowance in addition to their rent each week.

Q: Does CARINYA accept people on medications?

A:Watershed does accept residents that have pre-existing medication requirements. All medications are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Q: What personal items do I need to bring?

A:Clients need to bring clothing and personal items. All food (including tea/coffee) is supplied.

Q: Can I bring my mobile phone/Ipod/mp3 player or laptop?


Q: Is there a dress code?

A:Yes. Because proper dress and respect for oneself is an important aspect of recovery, we require all of our residents to abide by our dress code.

Q: Can I make phone calls during my stay?

A:Clients are allowed to make phone call during their stay as long as they have access to a phone card or their own personal mobile phone.

Q: Can I write/receive letters during my stay?

A:Yes. Clients are encouraged to write and receive letters from friends and family throughout the program.

Q: Can I leave the grounds whilst undertaking the program?

A:Yes. Clients are permitted to come and go as they please as long as they fulfill their program obligations.

Q: Can I get overnight or day leave?

A:Yes. Leave is granted on request after you have completed a minimum of one month at Carinya.

Q: Can I have visitors?

A:Given that the house is a shared accomodation facility, family/friend visits need to be approved by the Halfway House Co-ordinator.

Q: Will I have my own bedroom?

A:Clients usually share rooms with other clients. This helps to orientate the person to the program, and improve social interaction. After successfully completing the residential rehabilitation program, clients entering the Carinya Halfway House supported accommodation program may have their own room subject to bed availability.

Q: Can I have a car while in treatment?

A:Residents are permitted the privilege of having a car only after successfully completing the residential rehabilitation program and being in the Carinya Halfway House supported accommodation program for at least one month. Privilege of a car is decided on an individual treatment basis.

Q: Will I be able to work/study while I am in treatment?

A:Securing and maintaining gainful employment is an important part of the recovery process. Residents in the Carinya Halfway House supported accomodation program are encouraged to seek part-time or voluntary employment or study as part of their recovery program after one month and on an indidvidual treatment basis.
article help button

end faq

{accordionfaq faqid=accordion3 faqclass="lightnessfaq defaulticon headerbackground headerborder contentbackground contentborder round5" active=item1}

Watershed acknowledges the traditional custodians of country and their continuing connection to land, culture and community. We pay our respects to elders past, present and future.

Watershed holds accreditation with the Australian Council on Health Care Standards (ACHS).

Formerly: Wollongong Crisis Centre

Language Translator

Please select your preferred language:

Call Toll Free
24 hours 7 days
1800 818 872

IBC - Business Awardsp-2013